If you already made decision to start doing it on your own than make sure you are doing it right .
- Always use same ink that you already have in edible printer . Contact manufacturer to make sure edible ink refills are compatible with your edible printer . Do not use generic inks from market places , in most case they are toxic , unhealthy inks smuggled in states even if you buy them on Amazon or Ebay ... you are not buying from Amazon , you are buying from unknown place hidden behind seller name without any certification info .
- Make sure cartridges you have are refillable with ARC chip , otherwise your cartridges will not be recognized by printer after refilling
- Do not refill cartridges inside printer . Remove it ( this will reset your chip ) and safely refill it on desk ( refilling is messy job )
- Use original cartridge clip / cap that came with it to prevent leaking .
- Start refill only when ink holding sponge is completely dry
- Insert ink very ,very slowly ...if you have bubbles in cartridge they will get sucked in print head and block color channels
- DO NOT OVERFILL !!
- Never refill same cartridge more than 4 to 5 times to prevent contamination and bacteria build up ( just get new set and be safe )
- Use separate syringes for different colors , even smallest drop will contaminate print channels forever
- Take your time , it's not competition ..
- Great , you just saved about $5.00 considering time you spent on refilling , detergent used to remove stain from your fingers and refilling kit cost .
- Congratulation , it's done .
Now you should get ready for troubleshooting , here is what could get wrong :
- Edible inks used for refill were not compatible with inks already used in cartridge ( cartridges bought from one company and edible inks from another ) . When two different ink formulation get mixed up they will form new molecules and coagulate . This will result in fast drying and print head clogging . Your edible printer in this case is probably permanently damaged . You can try cleaning solution , however most cleaning solutions are formulated to unclog only edible ink from particular company thus mixed inks will be almost impossible to remove completely .... get ready for new printer...
- In refilling process air bubbles were introduced to print head . You need to perform multiple deep cleaning procedures until bubble break and air got pushed out from print head ( this will result in wasting enormous amount of edible ink )
- Printed images have wrong hue , to dark or wrong colors ... probably contamination of yellow , cyan or magenta channel ...must use cleaning solution multiple times until issue is solved .
- Ink spots , smudges or blotches ? ...Your refillable ink cartridges are overfilled and can't hold ink pressure properly . Only remedy is to get new set because saturation in sponge or cartridge itself is not reversible . Pressure chamber is corrupted .
Make sure you understand pros and cons of refilling edible ink cartridges before you order this bottles , it could save you a lot of nerves and time .