Want to make Halloween extra fun this year? Make these adorable Ghost cake pops! They are easy to make and a pleasure to eat. Check out the recipe below and if you make it, make sure to tag us on social media!
Trick-Or-Treat Ghost Cake Pops
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 2 hours 20 mins
Serves: About 20 cake pops
These Trick-Or-Treat Ghost Cake Pops are a deliciously adorable addition to any Halloween spread. Made from crumbled cake mixed, frosting, and candy coating, these Trick-Or-Treat Ghost Cake Pops are the perfect, easy, make-ahead addition to your Halloween celebration.
For the Cupcakes:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
3 large egg whites
4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
1/2 cup whole milk
For the Vanilla Frosting
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
To Assemble the Cake Pops:
1 cup white candy melts (I used pure white candy melts from Wilton)
1/8 cup black candy melts
1 1/2 tbs vegetable shortening
5 Good&Plenty candies cut into quarters lengthwise
black and white paper straws (I used 10 straws and cut them in half)
20 mini-orange M&M’s
Our Ink4Cakes fine tip food color marker in black, you can grab here.
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the butter until light and fluffy. (About 2-3 minutes on medium speed)
- Add the sugar. Mix until fluffy. (About 2-3 minutes on medium)
- Add the egg whites. Mix until combined.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla, and milk. Mix until combined.
- Fill each muffin liner until 1/2 full.
- Bake for about 18-20 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached to it.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven. Allow them to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the tin, and allow them to cool completely on a drying rack.
For the Frosting:
- Using either a handheld mixer or a stand mixer, beat the sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and salt. Mix until combined.
To Assemble the Cake Pop Clay:
- Remove the paper liners from each of the cupcakes.
- Crumble the cupcakes into fine crumbs, removing any dark or crusty pieces.
- Add about 1 tsp of the frosting. Mix.
- At this point your cake crumb mixture should be the consistency of clay. If it is too dry, add more frosting, but be careful not to add too much frosting or the cake pops will be too oily and loose their shape.
To Form the Cake Pops:
- Form about walnut-sized balls with the cake pop clay.
- Flatten one end of the ball so it can stand on a cake pan.
- Place the ghost shaped cake pops on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Insert a cut piece of the Good&Plenty candy on either side of the cake pop as the ghost’s arms. Repeat this process with all of the cake pops.
- Chill the cake pops in the fridge for about 15 to 10 min.
- While the cake pops chill, melt the white candy melts with about 1 1/2 tbs of vegetable shortening. Allow the candy melts to cool for a few minutes before using.
- Dip the end of a paper straw into the candy melt. Then insert the straw in the top of the cake pop until it is about 1/3 of the way through the cake pop. Repeat this process with all of the cake pops.
- Place the cake pops back in the fridge for about 15 to 20 min.
- Reheat the candy melts if necessary. Allow them to cool for a few minutes before using.
- Line another sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Removing one or two cake pops from the fridge at a time, dip the cake pop into the candy melts. Gently tap off any extra candy coating.
- Place the cake pop on the parchment lined sheet pan.
- Repeat the process with all of the cake pops.
- Return the cake pops to the refrigerator to cool for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the cake pops chill, draw the faces on the mini-M&M’s using a fine tip food color marker in black.
- Once the cake pops are cooled, using a toothpick, place a small amount of white candy melts along the side of the orange mini-M&M. Attach the M&M to the cake pop under the ghost’s arm. Repeat the process with all of the cake pops.
- Return the cake pops to the fridge to chill for 15 to 20 min.
- Melt the black candy melts.
- Using a toothpick, make the eyes and mouth for each ghost.
- Then, using the same black candy melts and a toothpick, draw the handle for the pumpkin around the ghosts’ arms.
- Chill the cake pops for another few minutes.
- Serve chilled.